Tuesday 13 September 2016

Landwehr Sculpt #2

It's been a few weeks but sculpt #2 is finished.
I had to wait for a musket to be cast (so that I don't have to sculpt them over and over again) and that took a bit longer that I anticipated.

Anyhoo, here is #2. He's pretty much the same as the first figure except that he seems much uglier than his pal. With this chap I decided to lean his body further forward. This gives a couple of nice effects - a) It make him look more animated, and b) it gives him more forward momentum & urgency. Both hands holding the musket gives him a look of more determination as well as a sense vulnerability.

Another thing that is different is the inclusion of cuff on his sleeves. Landwehr of this period wore a range of clothing and not everyone in a regiment could be expected to be dressed the same so the inclusion of variations is accurate.

You may also notice the axe which is carried in place of the sword normally carried by the line infantry. This was also a common occurrence with various tools carried in this manner.

All in all, I quite like this one.

One thing that I noticed is that in the photos his right arm looks a bit thin but on the actual figure this isn't the case. On a more critical look it's due to a crease in the underside of his coat sleeve. I think I might need to fix this.

I was loaned a book detailing all of the Prussian Landwehr units of 1813/14 and it has some nice detail. One image that I like is a Landwehr Pioneer. I've never seen one of these in 28mm so it's definitely a figure worth making.







5 comments:

  1. Looks great, I like the axe detail.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback. I'm about half way through #3 and hope to finish him in over the weekend. I also working on a drummer too.

    ReplyDelete