Friday 11 November 2016

English Civil War Flags

Greetings Readers,

I've been getting back into the ECW for the past couple of weeks. This happened because I had the opportunity to buy a big bunch of figures all painted very nicely (better than I would have done). However, I turned down the offer for a couple of reasons. One of these reasons was the price which I always have trouble coming to terms with. I always think, "I can do that, so why pay a lot of money for it."

But my interest was piqued and I decided to just bite the bullet and paint up the unpainted troops I already have languishing in boxes & gathering dust.

But that's not what this post is about. This post is all about flags.

I'm quite handy with photoshop and I like to use it for designing all sorts of things. And one of those things is flags. Whilst painting my new Royalist recruits I decided to embark upon a cunning plan that I devised a while ago.

The Plan:

I usually give each pike block a single flag. I usually record casualties by placing a dice (nothing new there). But, what if I paint up a bunch of guys with a hollow tube in their hand where I can place various flags with dots & things to represent casualties?

Aha!

Instead of ugly dice, nice looking figures with flags will take their place. What looks better than more flags and less dice, I ask you?

So I designed a bunch of flags. They're pretty basic so they can be used for either Royalist or Parliament. And because I'm a nice chap I decided to share them with you. I'm not sure if these jpegs will be any good (I saved them as pdf's for my own printing). If they're no good drop me a comment along with your email address and I'll send you the pdfs.

I ordered a packet of 40 metal pikes to use as flag poles and cut them in half to double the amount.

Anyway, here they are.

 
 
This green & red one is Sir Henry Vaughn's Company of Foote 
and I'm unsure if any other regiments used this design.
 

I'm thinking that these flags with flames could be used to mark
other stuff like disorder or charging or whatever.


And some other ones:





4 comments:

  1. Very handsome handiwork on the flags! Using flag variations as status markers is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there if you could pop them in an email that would be brilliant, they didn't print off very well, bob.kittl@suffolkhighways.org Regards Bob

    ReplyDelete